IMAGE: Jasmine Holmes, Graphic Designer & Lettering Artist
Celebrating women typographers worldwide
We're celebrating the awesome work of talented women typographers to help raise visibility and increase the volume of commissioned work for female lettering artists worldwide.
To help achieve this misson, we've been running an exciting competition with global community Typism and their friends. The competition called upon female lettering artists to develop creations with impact that support the International Women's Day (IWD) 2020 campaign theme of #EachforEqual.
For more information surrounding women in lettering, check out this insightful article about the state of play for women in typography by Typism Community founder, Dominique Falla.
Showcasing women's creations for International Women's Day
IMAGE: Libbi Reed - Web | Instagram
As part of our mission to increase the visibility and commissioned work for women typographers worldwide, we held an IWD 2020 Typography Competition.
Celebrating women's creativity through the IWD 2020 Typography Competition
1. The competition was open to women typographers worldwide - novice through to experienced. Female artists could enter in all categories and as many times as they liked.
2. There were three exciting categories to enter:
- Each for Equal / #EachforEqual creation: Winners announced
- Happy International Women's Day creation: Winners announced
- Women's Equality statement or thought creation (ongoing)
3. We looked for impactful lettering artworks for each of categories, inspired by the category examples provided on this page.
4. To enter the competition's final category, women typographers shared their creations on Instagram using the hashtags #IWD2020 #EachforEqual #IWDTypism - plus they tagged @internationalwomensday_global and @typism. Winning entries were celebrated on the IWD website in addition to high-visibility promotion via the IWD and Typism social media channels.
Image: Aurelie Maron - Web | Instagram
About the Typism community
The Typism Community is a thriving international hub for bringing together type and lettering artists and creating a supportive network. Typism was founded on Australia’s Gold Coast in 2013 by creative designer and academic, Dominique Falla. Dominique saw a need for a conference and community that was solely for the type dorks of the world. Since then the Typism Community has gone global and continues to grow and support both new and experienced type and lettering artists. Every year, a Typism Conference is held on Australia's sunny Gold Coast and produces a curated book of the best black and white lettering from around the world.